Who Should Attend
• Employees in local government who facilitate relations between communities and other stakeholders.
Learning Assumed To Be In Place
Learners accessing this qualification should be competent in: • Communication at NQF Level 2.
• Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2.
The purpose of the qualification is to enable qualifying learners to apply the relevant competences required to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of a Local Government councillor and therein:
• Act as representatives of the community they serve.
• Provide leadership roles in a council.
• Act as custodians or guardians of public finances.
- Demonstrating an understanding of the interests of the people in a municipality.
- Demonstrating an understanding of the main issues in their municipality.
- Providing the link between the public and the council and ensuring primary loyalty tothe public.
- Participating in policy making.
- Participating in decision-making pertaining to local government matters.
- Passing by-laws.
- Giving direction to the related administration.