The need for well-qualified efficient, client-oriented public officials is therefore identified as a priority in all the three spheres of government. With regard to the implementation of municipal financial management reforms, the Qualification serves, as a basis of an effective implementation process by defining and identifying those competencies required by technical public officials. The possession of relevant knowledge, skills and attitude by technical municipal officials is crucial to the implementation of municipal financial management reforms. The FETC: Municipal Finance and Administration is aimed at practitioners working in or wishing to work in the Municipal sector. It is a Qualification in a career pathway towards an accomplished municipal financial management specialist.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Administer accounting and budgeting for input into municipal financial resource management.
- Compile revenue and cost analyses in the context of multi-year revenue and expenditure management in municipalities.
- Develop and apply administrative principles in the implementation of Municipal Office Administration.
- Develop and utilise municipal administrative procedures and principles to manage records within a municipal information system.
- Manage self-development in the workplace.
- Participate in employee health, safety and security administration at the workplace.
- Apply principles of information systems to public finance and administration.
- Discuss the selected legislative regulatory framework governing the public sector management and administration environment.
- Accommodate audience and context needs in oral/signed communication.
- Interpret and use information from texts.
- Use language and communication in occupational learning programmes.
- Write/present/sign texts for a range of communicative contexts.
- Apply knowledge of statistics and probability to critically interrogate and effectively communicate findings on life related problems.
- Engage in sustained oral/signed communication and evaluate spoken/signed texts.
- Read/view, analyse and respond to a variety of texts.
- Represent analyse and calculate shape and motion in 2-and 3-dimensional space in different contexts.
- Use mathematics to investigate and monitor the financial aspects of personal, business, national and international issues.
- Use the writing process to compose texts required in the business environment.
- Apply a range of project management tools and techniques.