Prospective undergrads are faced with a sizable challenge when selecting a Cape Town distance learning campus. First, there is the question of whether or not your chosen school has the courses you are interested in studying. Then, you need to have full peace of mind in knowing that remote learning is handled efficiently. You also need to consider aspects such as cost, accessibility, exam process, reputation and innovation.
One way that you can help to narrow down your selection is to watch out for some of the most commonly made when choosing distance learning schools in Cape Town and surrounds.
Avoid These Cape Town Distance Learning Campus Mistakes
Some of the biggest mistakes to avoid when deciding where to study include the following:
- Making a rushed decision. This is one decision that should never be made in haste. Finding the right school can be hard, and time-consuming. But trying to rush things by picking a place without doing your homework is never a good idea. Start thinking about schools as early as possible. Make a list of places that look like that have what you need, then begin to research each one carefully. What are your looking for in a remote campus? Make a list of things that are most important, and compare each school you are reviewing to see which ones have what it takes.
- Following someone else’s choices. Just because your girlfriend, boyfriend or bestie has chosen a college, it does not mean that you should follow them. If you really like the school they have chosen, and it offers the courses you want to take, and ticks all of your boxes, then you can apply. If your choice is being made mostly on staying close to your partner in crime however, you may end up jeopardising your future by blindly following someone else’s choice.
- Buying into the hype. Reputation is important to some degree – mostly because it separates the fly by night schools from the truly good schools. Don’t be swayed by campuses that are ‘trendy’, ‘prestigious’ or ‘cutting-edge’ however. A big, famous school that is notoriously hard to get into will not automatically mean that you will get the best education. Sometimes, smaller or regional schools have a better offering or have interactive tools that will help you grow.
- Letting your parents make your decision for you. Parents are great for support. They should never dictate where you should study however. What was right for your mom or dad will not necessarily be right for you. Colleges and distance education campuses in Cape Town have changed a lot even in the last decade – the experience that your folks had will therefore never be the same as the experience that you may have.
- Not keeping an open mind. You may not have even considered studying via a remote campus, because you were dead set on a traditional on-campus school. Being too rigid in your thinking may prevent you from finding a learning facility that is exactly right for you, so try to keep an open mind right from the start… whether you are dreaming of a future MBA or a diploma.
Need help making the right decision? Contact REGENT Cape Town today and let us know what you are seeking in a distance learning campus in the Western Cape.
Now that your child is all grown up and ready for distance study in Cape Town, what can you do to help students prepare for the next phase in their life?
After all of the challenges that parents face during their child’s life, from the toddler years to the first day of school, tweens and teens, it can be both exciting and scary when children reach the age where they are ready to go out into the world and study. Traditional universities can be especially scary for parents, with a number of challenges faced by students that include very real risks. Luckily, the rise of distance learning campuses has made it possible for students to have more choice in where they study than ever before. Distance education in Cape Town and South Africa enables students to either live and study at home or move out at their own pace when the time comes, without the added pressures of campus safety, housing and transport.
Helping Your Child Prepare for Distance Study in Cape Town
Even if there is less pressure when studying remotely, making the move from school to distance study is still not without its share of stresses… for students and parents. Some of the ways that you can help your child prepare for distance studies include the following:
- Be supportive. This does not mean being a ‘helicopter’ parent, hovering over your child’s every decision. What it means is simply being there for your child. Give advice, provide guidance and try to let your child make their own decisions without thinking about what you would do. Remember that college today is very different to how it was when you were at school. The challenges faced by today’s youth are very different, too. By listening, providing support and encouraging your child, you will be showing them that you will be there, whatever they decide to do.
- Be practical. You may find that your child decides to stay at home while they study, but you may find that they decide to spread their wings and find a place to share with friends. If it is possible, encourage your child to consider part-time work to help with study costs. One of the many benefits offered by distance education in Western Cape and other areas is that it is flexible. Your child may choose to wait tables or babysit, or they may find work in their chosen field while they study after-hours. By staying practical and encouraging your child to make pragmatic decisions, you will be able to help them create a calm and stable environment, whether they are at home or not.
- Be fair. Parents may get frustrated at times – this is natural. If you are finding it hard to understand why your child has chosen a specific course or qualification, or why they insist on getting a Higher Certificate in Management for Real Estate Agents when you are sure they would be better in a retail environment, you are not alone. It is normal to feel helpless when you do not agree with the decisions your child is making. No matter how hard it is however, it is essential to be fair and try to put yourself in your child’s shoes. By trying to control their choices or force them into making choices that you yourself would make, you may end up causing more harm than good.
Every child needs to go through the process of coming of age. Whether your child is setting off for distance studies in Cape Town or further afield, the only way to truly help them is to provide guidance and support so that they learn how to make their own destiny.
Interested in learning more about distance education in the Western Cape? Contact REGENT today for details on our Cape Town campus.
Distance learning qualifications offer an excellent way for future leaders to gain critical skill in the workplace. Whether you are considering your options as an undergraduate or you are thinking about returning to business school for postgraduate studies, or you are aiming to take a short course to help you learn how to lead and manage, there are a number of study options available to those with leadership dreams.
Distance Learning Study Courses for Leaders
From the elusive, sought-after MBA to short courses that help you learn how to manage and lead, becoming a leader is all about developing as many skills as possible. Good leaders are made, not born. Some may have a natural penchant for leadership, but many learn how to influence, inspire and empower people. Some of the courses that you could consider at various levels include the following:
Taking the first steps towards leadership begins at undergrad level. These courses are ideal for school leavers as well as those wanting a change of career. Some courses that you may want to consider include the following:
Your options as a postgrad student will depend on your chosen field. The goal at this level is to fine-tune your management abilities, learn how to strategise and forge a path in your career. Some courses that will build better leaders and managers include the following:
- Masters Of Business (MBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management and Leadership
In addition to certificate, diploma and degree courses, there are also many good short courses that will help you get ahead. By focusing on specific skills, you will be able to master the art of strategy, people management, mentoring and leading. The following courses will all help you gain key skills:
- Junior Management Development Programme
- Leadership and Personal Skills
- Management Strategy
- Managing and Leading
- Mentoring and Coaching
- Middle Management Development Programme
- People Management
- Senior Management Development Programme
- The Leader as a Coach
- Train the Trainer
To find out more about how distance learning qualifications help you become a more effective leader, contact REGENT today to get more information on your chosen qualification.
If you have been wondering whether to consider postgrad distance learning, you may already have some idea of what this alternative to on-campus schools has to offer. While there is no doubt that distance education has grown in leaps and bounds over the last few years, there is still a great deal of misconception surrounding the technicalities, benefits and realities of studying this way.
Not too long ago, the thought of completing any qualification through a remote learning campus would bring to mind old-fashioned mail education that relied heavily on the post office. Today, as more students all over the world seek ways to learn in a flexible, affordable environment that is not limited by proximity, postgrads are able to choose the learning facility that truly caters to each individual’s needs.
Why Do Postgraduate Studies via Distance Learning?
What exactly are the biggest advantages to completing your postgraduate studies via distance learning universities? For starters, benefits include the following:
- It’s safer. With all of the struggles and uncertainty on campuses these days, there is no doubt that being a student comes with a certain amount of risk. Even if you survived your undergrad days without any problems, there is a lot to be said about the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you will never have to put your safety at risk. Studying remotely, attending exams only on scheduled dates, will make higher education safer and less stressful all round.
- It’s more flexible. You really, really want to get into that MBA programme that you just know will open all the right doors. But, you are already working full-time, for a company that is not always able to give you time off to study. The flexibility of remote study is one of its biggest advantages, allowing postgrads to complete their studies while juggling work, family and other responsibilities. If you are good at managing your time, you will find that you really can do it all!
- It’s more balanced. On a similar note, you will also find that life-work balance a lot easier to manage when you can plan your studies around your schedule. Trying to juggle a full work day with on-site lectures and other obligations is a one way ticket to burnout. When you are able to set your own study timetable around evenings, weekends and precious time off, it becomes a lot simpler to plan your time according to the things that matter most.
Thanks to renowned learning establishments such as REGENT Business School, getting your masters need not mean having to compromise on quality, either. By choosing an accredited school that caters to postgraduate students with a range of programme options, you can be sure that your future is in good hands. Whether you are dreaming of going for gold with an MBA or you are aiming to get your masters in your chosen field, postgrad distance education in Cape Town provides the perfect way to get where you want to go in life.
An alternative to traditional finance, Islamic Finance is growing at a rapid rate. Current estimates put the market at a value of over $1.1 trillion. Along with a rapid growth rate, a growing need for professionals in the field and the demand for ethical financing, it goes without saying that this field offers plenty of opportunity.
The REGENT Higher Certificate in Islamic Finance, Banking and Law is an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to consider a career in this field. This one year course caters to both Muslim and Non-Muslim students who have an interest in the field, offering a comprehensive overview of practices, principles and comparison of Sharia and secular laws. The course provides students with unique management skills and knowledge, along with a wide range of career opportunities in South Africa and abroad.
Top Reasons to Pursue a Career in Islamic Finance
What are some of the benefits offered by Islamic Banking and Finance qualifications? Top advantages include the following:
- Deeper knowledge and understanding of this field of finance. Students will learn extensively about financial laws as applied to Islamic beliefs and laws. This will allow the ability to apply general as well as Islamic financial concepts within the world of corporate banking and business.
- Increased ability to critically evaluate market behaviour within the scope of Islamic banks. From performance to organisation behaviour, students will begin to understand the effects that trends have on the market.
- Career opportunities all over the world. Both Muslim and Non-Muslim students will have the benefit of a constantly growing, evolving field that is ripe with opportunities. Banks, corporate businesses and financial institutions are just some of the places seeking qualified experts in this field.
- Full awareness and understanding of products offered within this sector. Students will be equipped to recognise the wide products offered by the industry with the help of a Higher Certificate. This serves as a good introduction to those new to the field.
As the world continues to grow and change, new ways of doing business also continue to change. Islamic Banking may not be new, but it certainly offers a modern, exciting and highly rewarding alternative to traditional finance.
Interested in learning more about our Islamic Finance certificate? Speak to REGENT Business School for details!
If you are looking for a way to get ahead in your career, business schools offer a highly effective way to grow, learn and find rewarding opportunities. Whether you have a natural talent for marketing or a head for business admin; an interest in Human Resources or a passion for finance, taking a course at a trusted school opens up doors in ways that you could only begin to imagine.
And, you don’t have to limit yourself to traditional campuses, either. Distance learning has changed the way that we learn, offering flexible, innovative teaching solutions that allow you to learn from anywhere in South Africa.
How does studying through this type of tertiary learning institute help you forge ahead in your career? Let’s take a look…
Boosting Your Career Opportunities Through Business Schools
Some of the ways that a good business school helps you succeed in your career include the following:
- Allows you to make a career change.
If you are already working but wish that you could pursue another path, studying through distance programmes at a trusted school that is geared towards business is the best way to change careers. You may find that you want to do a full change from one field to another, pursuing a degree in something that has always interested you. Or, you may find that there are options within your general field that you had not considered. From financial management, to Islamic Finance, real estate management… or even something like entrepreneurship, there are many courses that help you get into the right path.
- Grow your leadership skills.
Those who have natural leadership skills can greatly enhance them with the help of courses such as an MBA (Masters of Business Administration). This programme is an excellent choice for future leaders and many global CEOs and leaders have earned their proverbial stripes through this programme. If other business areas are more your thing, studying further will still help you gain critical leadership skills to help you become a better manager in your role.
- Increase your earning power.
Another benefit of further education in business is the increased earning potential. Experience is essential in the majority of fields, but education is equally important. Sometimes, that bit of paper that states your extensive expertise can make the difference between a pass and a hire at a job interview. It can also make all the difference at performance appraisals and salary reviews.
- Gain vital entrepreneurial skills.
Careers are not only limited to working for other people, either. You can grow your own path by starting your own venture, equipped with vital skills that are learned through carefully chosen courses aimed at encouraging self-starters. Finance, marketing, HR, accounting, business management and many other facets of the business can be perfected through a variety of courses.
- Broaden your horizons and sharpen your skills.
Finally, studying further is a great way to broaden your perspective and hone your skills – both vital for career growth. Meeting new people, learning new things, pushing your boundaries, gaining confidence, learning more about yourself and gaining hard and soft skills will go a long way in helping you become a valuable, highly employable asset.
Whether you decide to go for an MBA or try a short course that gives you competitive edge, studying is a life-changing, game-changing experience. To get a full overview of the courses offered at REGENT Business School, use the menu above to view under-graduate, post-graduate and short courses.
Higher Certificates are an excellent way to increase your skill level within a certain field, and can be pursued through a good distance learning institute. Essentially, these one year courses can be done by anyone who has a national senior certificate and meets basic admission requirements. Students who want to change careers, those who wish to get an introduction into a specific field or those with specific career interests can all consider this qualification.
Qualifications offered by Regent Business School include the following:
- Higher Certificate in Accounting
- Higher Certificate in Business Management
- Higher Certificate in Entrepreneurship
- Higher Certificate in Health Care Management
- Higher Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Higher Certificate in Islamic Finance, Banking and Law
- Higher Certificate in Management for Estate Agents
- Higher Certificate in Marketing Management
- Higher Certificate in Retail Management
Reasons to Consider Distance Learning Higher Certificates
What exactly makes Higher Learning Certificates valuable to your career growth however; and what benefits can you enjoy when studying through distance learning schools? Some of the main advantages to studying further through a certificate of higher learning include the following:
- Employability and growth potential. Employees who have further training and qualifications are typically more likely to be employed than those without. While obviously many other things are also taken into consideration, such as general aptitude for the role, experience and overall skill, qualifications give you a competitive edge. Specialising in a certain field helps you get a deeper understanding that can enhance your on the job experience, making you more of an asset to companies and more likely to get ahead.
- Higher salary potential. Likewise, employees who have qualifications on their resumes can expect a higher salary level compared to those who have limited training. Once again, this is not always the case – experience should never be overlooked or underestimated. But having specific training within your chosen career, as well as the experience needed to get a holistic understanding, will definitely put you in a higher earning bracket.
- Personal growth and development. Studying further can also give you a great deal of self-fulfilment. Learning and expanding your skills give you greater confidence, a higher level of self-worth and a greater ability to expand your perspective. As an added benefit, when studied through a distance education school, you will be able to pursue your studies part-time, while keeping your current job.
Studying further is the best way to maintain key skills within your chosen career, while also giving yourself a distinct advantage in the competitive career marketplace. From a community perspective, skilled, trained people give back to the economy and help to uplift those around them as well. With that in mind, Higher Certification undergraduate courses are the best way to grow, learn and thrive – whatever your chosen path may be.
Whether you are a post-graduate student wanting to study further while you are working, or a brand new student wanting a flexible learning solution, distance learning offers a number of advantages. One of the biggest benefits offered by this type of study system is its accessibility. Students are able to study from anywhere in the world, with the help of an internet connection and computer. As courses are completed in virtual classrooms or completed via correspondence, students do not have to be physically present at a designated location in order to study.
In the case of business qualifications, this accessibility makes it possible for students to work full-time while studying further. For organisations, this offers an excellent way to maximise employee skills and talents without losing valuable working hours. For students, this offers a way to balance work, studies and other life areas more easily.
Advantages of Distance Learning
The advantages of distance learning include the following:
- Flexible study hours. Students can study in their own time – after working hours, for a few hours during the day or over weekends. This means that studies can fit around regular responsibilities, without sacrificing time for work, family or learning. As long as students are able to self-motivate and stay on track, a flexible study schedule can make it possible to achieve career dreams while juggling multiple responsibilities.
- Accessible learning. For students who live far away from any learning institutions, studying can become almost impossible unless accommodation and transport are readily available. Remote learning takes down barriers to education that are caused by distance, making it possible for anyone, anywhere to study further with the help of a computer and internet connection.
- Fast-tracked career growth. In today’s competitive business world, qualified employees have a distinct advantage. Short courses, full length degrees and various other distance qualifications make it easier to advance your career, while working your way up the corporate ladder. Mature students and those with families can also continue to grow without losing valuable income.
- Value to employers. As we briefly mentioned earlier, this type of learning also offers benefits to companies and employers. Students who study further in their own time without losing out on day to day work are a valuable asset to companies who want to capitalise on the increased skills offered by additional qualifications such as MBA or qualifications in specific skill areas such as marketing or administration.
- Update skills and enhance potential. For students wanting to change career, update an existing qualification or increase skills within a specific area, studying remotely on a part-time or full-time basis can be an excellent way to do so without giving up current work responsibilities. Small business owners, entrepreneurs, stay at home moms, mature students and post-graduates can all take advantage of the flexibility of this style of study to learn and grow personally and professionally.
With all of the benefits offered by long distance learning, it is no surprise that this form of study is fast becoming one of the best ways to expand skills and further careers in a flexible, rewarding way.