On completion of this qualification, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge in a range of core disciplines, including business ethics, mathematics, statistics, accounting, taxation and commercial law.
- Demonstrate forefront knowledge and expertise in information systems.
- Provide accurate financial information vital in the organisational structures to management for decision making.
- Apply competence and skills related to general management principles of planning, organising, leading and control.
- Demonstrate an understanding of theories and practices pertaining to Auditing in the field of commerce and management studies.
What is the duration of the programme, how is it structured?
The minimum duration of this programme is three years.
- Business Management 101
- Business Statistics 102
- Accounting 1
- Economics 1
- Commercial Law 1
- Taxation 201
- Accounting Information Systems 202
- Management Accounting and Finance 2
- Auditing 2
- Financial Accounting 2
- Taxation 301
- Ethics 302
- Management Accounting and Finance 3
- Auditing 3
- Financial Accounting 3
What is Your Investment
South Africa Rich Distance Fee Schedule 2017
Overview of Bachelor Of Commerce (Accounting Degree) is offered at Durban Campus Only
It is is a full-time three-year contact programme designed to provide the student with a wide range of accounting (financial and management), auditing, taxation and management skills while at the same time building competence in core focus areas. The coursework in the degree is demanding and requires dedication and diligent work. Students are required to write tests and examinations during the year. The degree provides graduates with a broad-based accounting qualification that is invaluable in forging a career in the world of commerce and industry. The curriculum also includes general coverage of management theory and business mathematics/statistics, and intermediate coursework in business law and economics. The Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) graduate enters the business world with solid theoretical knowledge that is supported by strong problem solving, critical thinking, decision-making and strategic skills. Once the student has qualified, the degree provides articulation to postgraduate qualification, amongst others, the Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree. Entry Requirements The minimum entrance requirement for admission to the Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) programme is an E symbol in Mathematics, together with Bachelor’s Degree endorsement. Career Opportunities This degree provides an attractive range of career options and is the ideal stepping stone to an exciting range of accounting and business related career opportunities. These careers may include but not be limited to financial accounting, management accounting, auditing, and taxation. Students completing this qualification will:
- Possess the necessary knowledge and skills and applied competence to enable them to demonstrate financial proficiency.
- Be able to exercise the necessary rational judgment and decision making skills that will assist in investment planning decisions.
- Understand and appreciate change and managing change within organisations.
- Be able to analyse and solve finance related problems.
- Display the skills required for the recording and processing of financial information.
- Be well versed on issues in respect of ethical behaviour.
- Develop the functional competence required of a graduate to proceed to middle management level within an organisation