Study Enquiry Form
Complete all fields on the study Enquiry form, and a dedicated programme advisor will contact you.
The Higher Certificate in Healthcare Services Management (HCHSM) is a 1 year programme intended for healthcare practitioners and related professionals such as medical practitioners, nurses, physiotherapists and optometrists, as well as non–medical persons interested in pursuing management careers in healthcare services in the private and public sector. The programme serves a dual purpose, firstly school leavers will be empowered with initial management training and secondly professionals in healthcare, who occupy managerial positions but have no formal management training will acquire managerial training and competencies.
This qualification will develop management skills and competencies in persons involved in or wanting to make a career in the management of healthcare services.Healthcare services management is a field where there has been a historically severe shortage of management skills. This has been aggravated by the so-called brain drain.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Understand and work in the healthcare services environment
- Use economic principles to understand, explain and discuss allocation of resources in healthcare services
- Apply management principles (general, financial and human resources) in the healthcare services management
- All HPCSA registered professions will obtain 30 SAMA CPD points upon completion of the program (20 Clinical, 10 Ethics points) (MDB015/MPDP/100/05)
- Contribute to the management of a health care service practice
- Understand, monitor, review and implement quality improvement in this industry
- Understand planning and policy making, monitoring, review and implementation in the healthcare services sector
Duration: 1 year
The programme comprises 6 modules, students attempt three (3) modules per semester.
- Practice Management
- Service Delivery and Quality Management
- Healthcare Services Planning and Policy
- Principles of Management
- Healthcare Services Environment
- Health Economics
A National Senior Certificate with a minimum Higher Certificate admission or a relevant NQF4 Qualification or Equivalent