Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting Degree - Overview
Study Enquiry Form
Complete all fields on the study Enquiry form, and a dedicated programme advisor will contact you.
- Provides students with an in-depth understanding of accounting and business finances.
- Gives students a foundational knowledge of a range of core business and financial disciplines, including business ethics, statistics, mathematics, taxation, and more.
- Equips students with advanced skills and proficiency to make financial decisions that will assist in investment planning.
- Teaches students to analyse and solve finance-related issues.
- Gives students the expertise to record and process financial information.
- Provides students with forefront knowledge and expertise in information systems.
- Teaches students about work ethics related to finances and how to handle these situations.
- Equips students with the skills to plan, organise, lead, and control projects.
- Gives students a good understanding of theories and practices related to auditing in the field of financial management and commerce.
The BCom in Accounting, a comprehensive three-year contact learning course,
offers a highly student-focused approach. It is specifically designed for those looking
to study accounting and earn a Bachelor’s of Accounting degree.
This program enables students with diverse needs and various responsibilities,
including those who are employed, to pursue their studies without sacrificing their professional commitments.
Upon completing this degree, students will have the skills and expertise to pursue the following careers:
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Manager
- Business Manager
- Chief Financial Officer
- Data Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Consultant
- Financial Crime Risk Manager
- Financial Manager
- Head of Assets
- Internal Auditor
- Investment Manager
- Investment Officer
- Payroll Manager
- Pricing Administrator
- Private Banker
- Procurement Officer
- Property Accountant
- Risk Manager
- Settlement Specialist
- Tax Compliance Officer
- Vice President of Finance
Admission requirements for the BCom in Accounting are the following:
- An “E” symbol in Mathematics and Bachelor’s Degree endorsement.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements but have appropriate work experience can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) as an alternative admission to the course. These admissions are based on the candidate’s prior studies, age, work, and management experience.
How to apply
Frequently Asked Questions
BCom Accounting is an undergraduate degree focused on preparing students for careers in accounting and finance. This program covers a broad range of topics such as financial accounting, managerial accounting, taxation, auditing, and business law. It aims to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to analyze financial information, make informed decisions, and manage financial resources effectively.
The salary for BCom Accountants can vary widely based on factors such as location, experience, industry, and the size of the company. Starting salaries for BCom graduates in accounting roles can range from moderate to high, with potential for growth as experience and professional certifications are gained. In general, accountants with a BCom degree can expect competitive salaries in line with other professionals in the business and finance sectors.
Yes, BCom Accounting is considered a valuable degree for those interested in a career in finance or accounting. It offers a solid foundation in accounting principles, financial management, and business strategy. This degree not only prepares graduates for various accounting certifications but also opens up opportunities in finance, business analysis, and management roles. With a strong demand for qualified accountants in both the public and private sectors, a BCom in Accounting can lead to a stable and rewarding career.
Graduates with a Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including:
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Management Accountant
- Internal Auditor
- Tax Advisor
- Financial Analyst
- Business Consultant
- Financial Controller or CFO
- Government Accounting and Auditing roles
These roles can be found across various industries, including accounting firms, corporations, government agencies, non-profits, and financial institutions.
This Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting program may be distinguished by several key features such as:
- Accreditation by leading accounting bodies, ensuring the curriculum meets industry standards and graduates are well-prepared for certification exams.
- Practical experience opportunities, including internships, co-op placements, or industry projects, that allow students to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals.
- Advanced technology integration, teaching students how to use the latest accounting software and analytical tools.
- A focus on global business practices and international accounting standards, preparing graduates for work in a globalized economy.
- A strong alumni network and career support services that help graduates connect with potential employers and navigate their career paths effectively.
These distinctive elements can enhance the learning experience and better prepare students for successful careers in accounting and finance.