The MBA in Healthcare Management aims to provide knowledge about and develop skills for leading and managing health systems and services, leading and managing health professionals, and managing one’s self as a leader and manager in contemporary and complex healthcare. Healthcare managers and leaders lead the way from public health and preventive services in the community, to primary healthcare, emergency health services, hospital services, and rehabilitation and palliative care to tertiary level healthcare services.
The programme aims to develop a greater depth of high-level skills in the profile of the professional manager. As the sector ultimately targets the well-being of people, it requires coordinated participation of hospitals and healthcare institutions, pharmaceutical firms and diagnostic services, healthcare technologies, informatics, insurance providers, entrepreneurs and finally, the community of healthcare recipients. It is in this space particularly that the REGENT Business School MBA programme will step into.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Contribute to the socio-economic challenges of developing Southern Africa in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Contribute towards the extension of knowledge of business management and administration in a healthcare context.
- Demonstrate critical knowledge of the specific fields and sub disciplines of healthcare management.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyse and solve management and commercial problems in a systematic, critical and creative way.
- Acquire a critical understanding of how to manage people, resources and processes in a healthcare context.
Benefits of the qualification
The benefit of enrolling for the REGENT Business School MBA in Healthcare Management programme is that upon successful achievement of this programme you will be in possession of a greater range and depth of high level skills as a professional in the sphere of healthcare management that has become increasingly complex and uncertain. The core modules of the programme will be structured for managers at all levels who work in public and private healthcare sectors or related industries. The main objective of these modules will be to provide students with high level analytical and conceptual skills, as well as practical knowledge to succeed in today’s complex healthcare environment.
The purpose of the REGENT Business School MBA in Healthcare Management Dissertation is to develop students’ high-level cognitive and pragmatic thinking skills towards the conceptualisation, composition, and design, as well as proposing, implementation and evaluating research. As an entire independent module based on the examination of the produced dissertation, the purpose of the module is to assess the result of students’ research conceptualisation and research skills against the pre-determined set of outcomes of a completed dissertation. This is done with cognisance of the current and contemporary research designs and methodologies which ensure that the student is critically-analytically engaged, in alignment with a balanced approach to the complexity level expected of student performance at NQF 9, both in terms of the academic as well as the contextual complexities.
The level of attainment required for entry into this programme is:
- an appropriate Honours Degree or equivalent qualification or;
- an appropriate Postgraduate Diploma or equivalent qualification or;
- a professional Bachelor’s degree at NQF level 8 (480 credits)
Provided that the applicant:
- is at least 25 years of age and;
- has at least three years of working experience.
In keeping with the national imperatives of widening access and in line with RBS’s mission, a maximum of 10% of the cohort may be admitted via the alternate admissions route of RPL